Monday, December 03, 2007

There's Just Some Things You Can Tell

I know there are people in my life who think I'm "overacting" or "overrating" the boys problems. I know many other mom's in their own situations feel the same way. Dave's parents are some of the worst when it comes to what we deal with. First they have no idea when they visit once or twice a year. They are one of the firm believers that "Dominic is just a boy" this is "normal" "he's going to grow out of it." I hear this from soooooo many other people. It would be nice if it were true. It does upset me though that so many people believe it's just a "phase." It makes me doubt myself and doubt the Dr's and Teachers who have dealt with him.

There are instances though when we can tell the difference in real and fake with Dominic. This weekend his finger hurt. He made quite the show of it, it was hilarious. He held his pinky up like Dr. Evil all day and would loudly say "oww!" out of the blue. There was the coughing and needing "medicine." These are so typical for little kids to dramatize.

Not typical though: Having things thrown at you when you say no. Having a kid screaming when dressed, having a kid up at 10 pm jumping in bed acting like they took acid, kids only having one color they want of everything, having a kid that won't watch TV unless it's one thing they enjoy, Stacking that one thing in special order, having a kid cry from other kids in the classroom playing because they are too loud, having your kid throw up at the dinner table atleast once or twice a week, having something minimal set your kiddo into a raging fit and ruining their whole day.

How do we get people to understand Special Needs? I almost feel like I need people to come live with me for a week.

1 comment:

mommy~dearest said...

have 'em babysit. They'll understand what's "normal" real fast. ;)

My parents are the same way. My mother in particular. It comes from wanting her grandson to be "normal", and wanting it so badly that she talks herself into believing that it really is "just a phase".

I just keep interjecting little quips, like "oh, so he was yelling the other day *because he was in sensory overload* he calmed down as soon as he started stimming *because that's what helps him regulate himself* and he wanted ice cream. Isn't that funny?"

And just keep adding to their vocabulary. Eventually, they'll get to know the terms used, and will feel more included in the program. They also may want to find out more about the terms, learning about the disabilities in the process.