Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Man Up!

The past week Dominic's emotions have just been out of control. He cries at everything. He's seriously out to kill Santa for not bringing him a Mr. Big Modfighter by Hotwheels. Seriously. He was telling me that it fell out of Santa's sleigh and you could just see the anger and tears starting to appear in his glazed eyes.

Last night we went to Target. Target for me is a nightmare but I knew they'd have 75% off Christmas by now. So we went and it was an absolute nightmare. Dominic wanted an roboraptor and was not leaving without one. When I shopped the day after Christmas i found this mini wind up Robopet thing that I believed was in his tastes so I bought it. Big mistake. The robo pet is now his favorite toy and he cries if he's lost it. It's name is "cocoa" but it's green. The box showed the other robo toys and now he wants them all, especially the raptor. So long story short, I bought my things and Dave took him to the car. We came home and he was still sobbing uncontrollably about not getting it. We told him we'd take a few of his duplicate toys back and he could get a roboraptor but he needed to calm down. He was having a hard time breathing he was so upset. It was awful. I can't say this was the first time he acted like this because it's not. That's why I do the whole thing where I let him put a toy in the basket and then ask the clerk to put it back at the register because I'm not buying it since if I say no he'll fall to the floor in a fit. It's just easier to break his heart in the car after he's buckled up. Wrong I know but after it getting harder to deal with in the stores now I've had to resort to that.

Last night Dave was trying to calm Dominic, treating him like a baby. I really don't think this is how his crying fits need to be handled. He can't always expect toys when we go to Target and Walmart. I asked him if he'd like a big bawl baby son when he's in grade school because that's how he's going to be the way he's treating him. I don't know if Dominic's emotions are out of whack from being spoiled or if anything else is to blame. I'm getting to the point where I hate to say "oh it might be this." I'd like to say he's just trying to get his way.

2 comments:

junglemama said...

It is so hard to tell what the cause of the behavior is. I'm hoping that kids will outgrow some of these behaviors.

Does your husband know how you feel about him babying him?

mommy~dearest said...

And it really might be just him trying to get his way. I have a hard time telling the difference with my son too.

I try to prepare him by saying before we leave, "we're not buying a toy", he usually says "okay, no toy", but then when it comes down to it, still gets upset.

I can't really offer advice because my kid has 6 Baby Mozart VHS tapes, and only he can tell the difference. I obviously give in.