Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dominic's Parent Teacher Conference

Yesterday we had our 2nd parent teacher conference with Dominic's teacher this year. She told us that Dominic is really doing pretty well on his school work. He's recognizing letters, counting to 20 easier, overall he's improving on everything. She said his social skills have really improved from how he was at the beginning of the year.

She said behaviorally they have good weeks and bad weeks with Dominic. They'll have several good weeks and then be stuck in a bad one which is how it is here at home. She started telling me of a few situations which I will tell EI about because I know she hasn't. She mentioned how if he's zoned out of what they are doing or when frustrated he will sit with his head on his knees and rock back and forth which she "knew" was an Autistic trait but she didn't see him as Autistic. People she has NO CLUE about Disabilities. I think that's what frustrating me the most with the school is the lack of knowledge. After that remark I told her that at Early Intervention I was told when he was 3, he resembles a child with PDD's of Autism. I explained to her how it was a branch (so to speak) of Autism but a child appears more "normal" if you want to call it that. We talked about the SID testing that she had filled out and how she thought some of the questions really pertained to him. I told her I had been researching SID for awhile so I was confident that was what was going on too but I had no idea that Aspergers or PDD's (highly functioning Autism) children usually had SID.

She said that when he is upset he will still run off and hide or sit in a corner. At the beginning of the year he would only sit on the dinosaur at circle time but now he is willing to let other kids sit there. If upset, sometimes he will roll all around the room instead of walking. He will have a bad day when she is gone so they have to be careful on those days. If she tells him their schedule has changed, he will blow up at her for example no show and tell. He talks about hotwheels all day at school but does his work. He is still not able to hold a pencil right but hopefully the OT coming from EI will be able to work with him on that.

Overall it went well. I think she knows that he's got some problems that we need to get solved with him before Kindergarten. I am so scared for next year. I know we'll be having most likely some sort of transition conference to discuss Kindergarten with the principal and 3 teachers. I want someone next year who can tolerate his behavior yet help him when his Para isn't around. I want him to succeed instead of being labeled a bad kid and failing because some stupid teacher can't help figure him out.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just want to let you know I have been following your blog and sympathizing with you. It is not my child that has similar issues, but a boy I care for. His parents find out tomorrow what the decisions for their son will be by the public school system. He currently has IE visit sometimes here, sometimes at his home but he will be turning 3 soon and here in NH that stops at 3.

mommy~dearest said...

I can so relate to this. Jaysen's teacher is an idiot. She has no clue about disabilities, does not want a clue, and considers Jaysen a "bad kid".

Have you started an IEP for Kindergarten yet? Unless you have a fabulous school district, you're going to be in for some battles, and you should start now. I'm not trying to scare you, but take my case for example...it's now March, and my son has yet to receive any kind of an education this year. First grade has been a total wash. It sucks.

How wonderful that he's making such progress! You're right in wanting to be sure his teacher for next year is a good fit.

Best of luck! Please let me know if I can help in any way- this is a battle I've been through before...ugh.