Wednesday, November 08, 2006

ENT and Thyroid Appointments

Well I'm not even sure what I should have expected from going to the ENT Dr. While we were waiting I actually thought to myself that this was probably a total waste and that he's just going to say let's take out his tonsils "just in case." Sure enough. He says that if it was his 5 year daughter in this situation and she was snoring occasionally and jerking in her sleep and having behavior problems, he'd probably go ahead and take out her tonsils so it was ruled out. He said they aren't abnormal but they are large. They can do a sleep study but it'd probably have to be done in Wichita or KC. He was sympathetic though in seeing what kind of a difficult position we're in on this whole deal which was nice since you could tell he was obviously not feeling well. In the waiting room I overheard the receptionists calling his patients for the day canceling and saying he was sick. I'm supposed to get back to them on if we want to do the surgery or not. I'm going to feel awful if we were to put him through a unnecessary surgery so I'm thinking on this one for awhile. I told him I think for the time being I'll keep a log on how many times a week I catch him snoring and how loud. Last night he did not snore at all that I noticed. I didn't hear anything coming from his room.

Before the appointment we went to the Lab to have blood drawn to check his thyroid. I wasn't worried at all since the kids just had lead tests back a few months ago and they did fine with Dave. Boy was I wrong. As soon as she inserted the needle he started screaming and crying "owweee!" and took his other hand and tried ripping the needle out of his arm. It took a second to pry him from it, scared all 3 of us to death. They got the blood though and we'll hear back on that soon.

No comments: